Many mobile carriers are changing their spectrum allocations and this will have a noticeable effect on 2G networks. The growth and evolution of wireless services, along with the demand for faster and broader coverage, means that older networks need to be shut down so there is spectrum available for the new 4G/LTE systems. While some carriers are doing a complete shut down on a fixed date, others may take a phased approach. T-Mobile has publicly announced that they will continue 2G service well beyond AT&T’s sunset date of January 1, 2017.
At Skypatrol, we know that these changes will degrade the performance you are accustomed to so we have already discontinued sales of 2G devices in the US. Further, we are now restricting renewal options for AT&T service to not exceed December 31, 2016. Skypatrol feels strongly that your best option at this time is to migrate to CDMA technology. Skypatrol’s CDMA products work exclusively on the highly regarded and reliable Verizon network. Verizon has agreed that the CDMA network will be operational for Skypatrol until at least December 31, 2022.
We urge you to contact your sales representative or customer account manager to begin placing your order for CDMA based tracking devices or, with a SIM swap, migrating over to the T-Mobile 2G network. We understand how important it is to have a reliable partner and tracking devices that perform to your expectations. You can count on both Skypatrol and Verizon to deliver the most affordable and reliable solution possible.
Common Questions…and Answers:
- Is it mandatory that I change out the 2G devices I already have installed?
- A: No it is not. But, if you are already experiencing degraded service (some Tier 1 carriers are not renewing 2G roaming agreements and are not repairing 2G infrastructure), know that it will only get worse – especially in rural areas – and to an even greater degree on January 1, 2017.
- Who will bear the cost of this transition to new CDMA devices?
- A: The customer is responsible for upgrading their GPS devices, including the removal and installation. More information on this policy can be found on Skypatrol’s terms and conditions, as well as on the carrier’s websites.
- I have 2G devices that I would like to upgrade to Verizon or change to T-Mobile. What do I do with these devices?
- A: Contact the Sales Department at 800-369-5007 / option 1 and we will see if it is possible to swap out SIM cards and pay a change fee so that the devices you possess can be handled on the T-Mobile network or, alternatively, return the 2G device less a restocking fee and purchase an upgraded device operating on the Verizon network.